CEREC crowns are a relatively new type of dental restoration that bring with them a host of advantages and a couple disadvantages. While offered by our cosmetic dentist in San Francisco, here is a neutral look at this technology.
Pros of CEREC Crowns
• Convenience: Without a doubt, this is the biggest advantage, as a restoration can be designed immediately after the need is realized and placed shortly thereafter.
• Precision: With 3-D imaging of the mouth, a more precisely fitted crown can be designed and created than with traditional bite impressions.
• Reliability: These crowns are just as effective and reliable as other manufacturing methods when designed carefully with the software.
Cons of CEREC Crowns
• Monochromatic appearance: Without a specially designed and expertly applied glaze, the material can appear to be more monochromatic than natural teeth or even other porcelain options.
• Cost: Same day dentistry costs are typically higher than traditional methods, in large part because of the incredible initial cost of the equipment.
While available, our expert in CEREC crowns in San Francisco is happy to provide patients a neutral assessment of the pros and cons of this latest technology. To some, convenience outweighs cost while others the reverse is true. Contact our office to learn more.